Sunday, November 16, 2008

Job Interview and Curry Festival!

As many of you know I went to Yokohama for a job interview this past week. The job is with a company called TUV Rheinland. They hire what they call free agents - basically subcontractors who are not permanent full time employees and are called in to only work as needed. They have offered to train me in the field of Electromagnetic Compatability testing where I will be testing a variety of products to verify that they meet international safety and quality standards. It will be an interesting experience as I will be working with Japanese, German, Chinese, and Korean engineers just to name a few nationalities. The picture below is outside of the subway station in Yokohama. These large ferris wheels are everywhere in Japan usually at department stores.

We also went to a Curry Festival this weekend where we had traditional Japanese Curry Rice. This meal was popular with the Japanese Navy in Yokosuka and is often called Navy Rice also. We had a mild beef curry but you can get dishes that are very spicy, too. I tried some sort of crab cake ball that had what I think was squid inside. The outside of the ball was very good...I'm not so sure about squid though. The location of the festival is also the location of the Japanese battleship, Mikasa, which is now a museum in Yokosuka.

No comments: